Becoming Part 5: A Short and Sweet Afterthought

In comparison with the other “Becoming” blogs, this one will be short and sweet!  The heart of the “Becoming” blog entries was to look at the three key elements of how we become who we are: God, outside circumstances, and personal choices.  When I started writing this blog, I wanted to write entries about being a woman devoted to the Lord, and more specifically being a woman devoted to the Lord in her different roles, such as a wife and mother.

The afterthought of parts 1-4 is this: Who we become affects a lot of other people. God did not create us for selfish purposes. He created us for Himself, and part of our purpose on the earth is to serve Him by loving and serving others. When I think about the personal choices I make to either pursue or neglect my relationship with God, my thoughts are weighed down by the fact that I do not live in an isolated bubble. I am a wife to Patrick. I am a mom to Riley Grace. I am a daughter, sister, niece, granddaughter, teacher, employee, member of the body of Christ, citizen of America, etc. Therefore, the person I become affects all of the people that I encounter. My actions and attitudes affect others. If I am walking with the Lord, I will progressively be more patient, selfless, humble, loving, and forgiving. If I am not walking with Him, I will be more selfish, prideful, critical, negative, and entitled. If I am not walking with Him consistently and more deeply every day, my own life suffers because of it, but it doesn’t stop there. Patrick will be affected if I am a selfish wife. Riley Grace will be affected because she won’t have a good example to emulate. My students at work will not have a godly example to learn from. Lots of people will suffer because of who I become.If I don’t pursue the Lord. On the contrary, lots of people will be blessed if I do follow the Lord and pursue Him daily. Patrick will be blessed by a godly wife who is focused on serving him instead of serving myself. Riley Grace will be blessed by a godly mom who teaches her the ways of the Lord instead of the ways of the world. So in essence, I love others when I become who God has called me to be because, in doing so, I am pursuing holiness, which will spur me on to live a selfless life instead of a self-centered life.

Who you are becoming affects a lot more than just yourself.

How do you want to impact others?

What kind of legacy do you wish to leave for your family?

How are people closest to you affected by your relationship with the Lord?

Application:
Meditate on the following verses, and ask the Lord to show you how to encourage others in their faith with your life.


Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Farmer IN the DELL" and Marriage

Walking Toward the Waves: How Deep is Your Pursuit of God?

12.23.17 // Expecting the Messiah: Christmas Without Lights